Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi was a Persian researcher, mathematician, astronomer, and librarian. He was born in C 780. He is also known as the founder of Algebra. Because of him two new terms algorism and algorithm have been coined. He died in C 850.
Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi Books
Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi has written many books. Few of his famous books are:
- The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing
- The Algebra of Mohammed Ben Musa Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi
- Zij al-Sindhind
- Al-Khwārizmī: The Beginnings of Algebra Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi
- Thus Spake Al-Khwārizmī: A Translation of the Text of Cambridge University Library Ms Ii. Vi. S Alan S. Henry
- The development of Arabic mathematics Roshdi Rashed
- Ibn Al-Muthanna’s Commentary on the Astronomical Tables of Al-Khwarizmi: Two Hebrew Versions, Edited and Translated, with an Astronomical Commentary
- Robert of Chester’s Latin translation of the Algebra of al-Khowarizmi Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi
- Tabula Rogeriana
- Encyclopedia of the Brethren of Purity
- Toledan Tables
- Al Khawarizmi: The Inventor of Algebra
- Al-Khwarizmi: Father of Algebra and Trigonometry Corona Brezina
Contributions of Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi towards Mathematics
Al-Khwarizmi has made some significant contributions to the field of mathematics.
- He has made some significant contributions in the field of algebra, arithmetic, astronomy, trigonometry, and geography.
- He gave the first well-organized answer for quadratic equations linear equations.
- He was the first mathematician to consider algebra as an independent subject altogether.
- He introduced a few mathematical methods like “balancing” and “reduction”.
- The term algebra originates from the title of his book al-jabr.
- Because of the term algebra, two new terms have been raised, which are algorism and algorithm.
- He revised many mathematicians works, one of the famous works which he has edited is Ptolemy’s Geography,
- He wrote about the calendar work.
- He also created a set of astronomical tables and worked on a mechanical device like a sundial and the astrolabe.
- He made a significant contribution to trigonometry.
- He devived accurate cosine and sine tables
- He was the first to wite the table of tangents.
Interesting facts about Al-Khwarizmi
Few of the Interesting facts about Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi
- He is the father/ founder of algebra.
- He used to spend most of his time reading and writing in the library. Eventually, he became a librarian.
- He worked in Baghdad at the House of Wisdom as a scholar.
- He has worked on Babylonian and Persian astronomy, Greek mathematics, and Indian numbers.
- He has made significant contributions in the field of mathematics, cartography, geography, and astronomy.
- He found out the circumference of the Earth.
- He wrote 37 chapters on astronomical calculations and calendrical and 116 tables with astrological data, calendrical data, and astronomical information.
- He wrote the trigonometric functions table of cosine and sines.
Awards and Rewards under the name of Al-Khwarizmi
Many countries and people have valued Al-Khwarizmi in different ways. Some of them are:
Al Khwarizmi International College:
An international college has been established in the Philippines under his name.
Al-Khawarizmi Institute of Computer Science:
A computer Science College was established in Lahore Pakistan in August 2002.
A crater was named after Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi.
Khwarizmi International Award:
This award is given to those who do great work in the field of science and research.
Quotes By Al-Khwarizmi
That fondness for science, … that affability and condescension which God shows to the learned, that promptitude with which he protects and supports them in the elucidation of obscurities and the removal of difficulties, has encouraged me to compose a short work on calculating by al-jabr and al-muqabala, confining it to what is most straightforward and most useful in arithmetic.
Other Mathematicians like Al-Khwarizmi
There are many Greek Mathematicians. Among them one of the famous mathematician is Omar Khayyam.
FAQ About Al-Khwarizmi
Did Al Khwarizmi invent numbers?
Yes, Al Khwarizmi has introduced concepts of algebra and Hindu-Arabic numerals.
What is Al Khwarizmi famous for?
Al Khwarizmi is knowns as the father of algebra. He gave the solution for quadratic equations and linear equations. He has some immerse in research on mathematics.
Who is the father of algebra?
Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi is considered as the father of algebra. He has written the book named as al-jabr he has shown his expertise in algebra.
What did Al Khwarizmi do for math?
Muhammad IBN Musa Al-Khwarizmi has revised many of the mathematicians’ mathematical theories and formulas and represented them in a better way. He proved many of the methods and formulas. He has considered algebra.